2016 was a pretty great year for me personally. I had some awesome new professional opportunities, discovered some surprising new interests (hey there Korean Dramas!), made lots of new friends, read some amazing books, and got to go to Disney more than any human has a right to. All in all, it was a really great year, and I’m looking forward to all the adventures 2017 will bring.
Top 5 Things that happened in my personal life in 2016:
- I got cast in my first equity show! The New Moon at Lyric Stage was the most amazing performing opportunity I’ve had in my life so far. I can’t wait to work there again. I got my EMC card from this show as well (Equity Membership Candidacy Card).
- I got hired by Funimation! I can officially say I’m a voice actor (not actually something I ever dreamed I’d be able to do), which is amazing. Even more amazing is that sometime in the next year, a show will be out that I voice a recurring character on! I still can’t believe it. I’m having the time of my life working for them, and I hope 2017 brings so many more opportunities to work with them.
- I got to go to Disney so many times, with so many different people that I love. I even got to go to most of the major events (Flower and Garden Festival, Food and Wine, Not So Scary, Very Merry Christmas Party!), and it has been a truly magical year. I don’t think I’ll be going anywhere near that often in 2017, but I cannot express my gratitude enough for the amazing and unforgettable trips I took this year.
- I was able to do multiple shows in DFW, making amazing connections and new friends. From choreographing 8 minute tap numbers with the sweetest, most wonderful group of high schoolers in Crazy For You, to trying to figure out how to be a seductive prostitute dancing on tables in Jekyll and Hyde, it’s been quite a year for theater for me. I’m immensely grateful for all the opportunities I’ve had to perform and learn and to work with ridiculously talented people.
- I discovered Korean Drama. Ok, so this doesn’t seem like it should be a big deal, but I guess I should say I discovered South Korea instead. I don’t know how this is going to fit into my life in the next few years, but I am choosing to wait on God with expectation, as I hope for the future (I know, so incredibly vague 🙂 ). On a less serious note, discovering Kdrama has been amazing. And it’s definitely impacted my life this year. If you’re interested in knowing more about it, I’m dedicating this month to all things Kdrama! Stick around and find out why I’m obsessed!
Many other amazing things happened, both in my professional life, and my personal life, but I thought these 5 things really stood out as highlights of my year.
Funny enough, I didn’t finish a single reading challenge this year. This is mostly due to my recent obsession with Kdrama (I haven’t finished a book in two months you guys. It’s bad). I’m pledging to get back on track in January, since there are so many books sitting on my Kindle and my shelf are begging to be read. And I’m out of reviews…so that’s a bit of a problem for a book review blogger 🙂
Anyway, check out a little recap of reading, reviewing, and rambling from 2016!
Books Read in 2016: 48
Favorite Read of 2016: Winter by Marissa Meyer (Runner Up – Uprooted by Naomi Novik)
#1 New Book I’m looking forward to from 2017: This one’s hard because I’m not really in the middle of any series that I’m dying to continue, and I’m interested in new books, but obviously I don’t know much about them, so my interest level hasn’t reached “desperation” yet. Here’s a few I’m looking forward to:
- Traitor to the Throne (Rebel of the Sands #2) by Alwyn Hamilton
- The Last of August (Charlotte Holmes #2) by Brittany Cavallaro
- Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor
- Flame in the Mist by Renee Ahdieh
- The Gatlon School for Vigilantes by Marissa Meyer
Least Favorite Book (that I actually finished): Lord of the Fading Lands by C.L. Wilson
Least Favorite Book (that I didn’t finish): Hidden Gates by D.T. Dyllin followed closely by Everealm by J.D. Wright.
One blogging thing I want to get better at in 2017: Replying to comments. I have some amazing readers who comment all the time, and I only respond about half the time. I suck, you guys. Stay awesome. I love getting your comments!
Favorite Movie of 2016: This is a hard one. I didn’t see as many movies this year as I normally do, and the movies I even remember seeing don’t stand out in my memory as being the best movies ever. So I’ll just give a handful of movies I vaguely remember being awesome:
- Captain America: Civil War
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Rogue One
- Star Trek: Beyond
- Hail, Caesar!
Favorite TV Shows of 2016: Lets be honest, the only TV I really watched this year was KDrama. I can’t even name a show that I actually watched this year that wasn’t Kdrama.
- Descendants of the Sun
I could name a few more, but that’s what we’re talking about all January, so I don’t want to be redundant 🙂
So those are just a few of the things that happened in 2016! I can’t wait to see what 2017 has in store for us all. Leave me your recap in the comments, so I can see what you were up to!