A huge portion of the books I read are because of a recommendation from someone, be it a friend, family member, or another book blogger. Here are some that I strongly remember reading because of a recommendation:
1. Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson – This one was a recommendation from my brother, who kind of bugged me about it until I completely finished it. I now recommend it to anyone who likes fantasy, as it’s truly excellent, and I really need to read the second one.
2. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green – this book really started me on reading more in the YA Contemporary genre. I borrowed TFiOS from a college friend after she told me I had to read it. I loved it, and although I haven’t liked any of his other books, I definitely recommend TFiOS to people.
3. Half-Blood (Covenant #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout – I think I may have read Lux first, but I strongly remember my friend recommending the Covenant series to me first; I resisted because I thought it sounded too much like Vampire Academy (there are similarities, but both are great series) and I put it off. Now it’s probably my favorite JLA series.
4. Uprooted by Naomi Novik – I just finished this one a few months ago, after seeing endless posts and reviews of it on other blogs. I’m so glad I picked it up when I did; it’s one of my favorite books of the year so far!
5. Grimspace (Sirantha Jax #1) by Anne Aguirre – another one I’d seen around the Blogosphere for ages. I was looking for more adult sci-fi/fantasy, and this was one that was high up on most people’s lists. Such a great series. I’m heading into the third one now, and I love it.
6. Moon Called (Mercy Thompson #1) by Patricia Briggs – so the past year or so has been the great awakening of Urban Fantasy, and it took me a few tries, but I finally got to Moon Called and I FELL MADLY IN LOVE. I’d seen it hailed as one of the best UF series so many times, I guess I just didn’t believe everyone. I need to catch up in the series. P.S. Don’t let the cover fool you, this is one of the least trashy UF books I’ve read.
7. I’d Tell You I Love You, But Then I’d Have to Kill You (Gallagher Girls #1) by Ally Carter – who else is terribly sad this series is over? So fun. I just loved them all. Another rec by the friend who recommended Half Blood. I was skeptical at first based on the cover/synopsis, but I was proven wrong immediately.
8. The Summoning (Darkest Powers #1) by Kelley Armstrong – so I actually don’t remember much about this series, except I gave it five stars on Good Reads. I do remember that this was also a rec by the same friend as above.
9. Camille by Tess Oliver – another rec by the same friend. Also don’t remember much about this one but gave it 4 stars so I must have liked it.
10. A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic #1) by V.E. Schwab – who hasn’t seen this book in the blogosphere? It and it’s sequel are everywhere these days. I finally caved and read the first one and enjoyed it thoroughly. I need to pick up the sequel.
There are plenty of other books that could have made this list. Like I said, a huge portion of the books I read are based on recommendations from friends/family and other bloggers.
What are some of the top books you’ve read that were recommended to you?