It’s no secret I love Disney World. Even just a normal day in the Magic Kingdom is enough magic to bring smiles to everyone’s faces. But if you have the opportunity, I cannot encourage you enough to visit during Not-So-Scary. The party runs on certain nights during September and October, and I have been fortunate enough to go for the past two years. It is the most fun you can have on Halloween! Here are a few reasons why:
1. Halloween Decorations: The Magic Kingdom always looks great, but the park gets a makeover at Halloween time. The extra decorations and light effects add an extra special festive air, and really make the happiest place on earth somehow even more magical.
2. Costumes : the Not-So-Scary party is the only time during the entire year that adults can wear costumes! And believe me, people go all out. If that’s not your thing, don’t worry, you won’t be the only one not dressed up, but if you love dressing up, you will be in good company. I’ve seen some amazing costumes at the party. Some people go all out and look like they could be real Disney employees meeting and greeting guests, while others (like myself) opt for a slightly less elaborate and more comfortable costume. And you don’t have to dress up as a Disney character (just don’t do anything trashy or offensive! There are plenty of little kids at the party!).
*My friend and I dressed up as Winnie the Pooh and Eeyore; It was so fun! People would say “Hi Pooh!” as we passed. Everyone really gets into the spirit!*
3. Special Character Meet and Greets: There are always characters to meet and greet during regular park hours, but that number doubles during the party (especially when it comes to villains!). There are characters out during the Halloween party that you won’t see any other time of year (like all 7 of the dwarfs from Snow White!)
4. Boo to You Parade: All of the parades at Disney are amazing, but I adore the Boo to You parade. It starts with the Headless Horseman riding down Main Street, followed by eerie floats manned by villains and hitchhiking ghosts, and all of your favorite Disney characters (some of whom are in their own Halloween costumes)! There are even zombie dancers and gravediggers from the Haunted Mansion. It’s one of the best parades at Disney!
5. Happy HalloWishes : Wishes, the regular nighttime Fireworks Spectacular at Magic Kingdom is a delightful and magical show; but it gets a spooky twist during the Halloween Party. Led by the “Ghost Host” from Haunted Mansion, the music is mostly villain themes, and the castle gets an eerie makeover. Definitely one of my fave fireworks shows. Especially the “Scream-Along” at the end!
6. Classic Characters in Costume: Many of the classic characters that you can visit for meet and greets are dressed up in their own Halloween Costumes! I about died when I saw the Winnie the Pooh crew; they are adorable!!
*Pooh was so excited that I had dressed up as him for Halloween, as was Eeyore, as my friend dressed up as him! It was adorable!!*
6. Trick-or-Treat : As if all of that didn’t sound awesome enough, you get to Trick or Treat in the Magic Kingdom!! For free! You’ll get a bag and then you can go find the treat stations and get as much candy as you want! (They even have allergy friendly stations!)
7. The Cadaver Dans – who doesn’t love the Dapper Dans as they sing and tap dance down Main Street U.S.A? Well During the Halloween Party, they become the Cadaver Dans, and sing songs like “Grim Grinning Ghosts” and “This is Halloween” to the crowds waiting for the parade.
9. Ride the Rides! Not interested in trick-or-treating? Ride the rides instead! Many of the restaurants and most of the rides/attractions in the Magic Kingdom are open during the party, and because so many people are in line for meet and greets and taking advantage of the special events, lines are likely to be shorter (obviously not guaranteed, and depends on what day you go). I’m a big fan of all the special parades and fireworks, so I don’t spend my time riding rides, but if that’s your thing, this may not be a bad time to do it!
10. Crazy short Meet and Greet Lines: Since there are so many special characters out, the permanent meet and greet lines are ridiculously short. We met Rapunzel, Tiana, Aurora, Cinderella, and Tinkerbell, and we hardly waited longer than five minutes for any of them! Sometimes their lines get well over an hour wait during regular park hours! (For reference, we waited over an hour to meet Winnie the Pooh and company because they are a special meet and greet with their Halloween costumes).
And don’t forget, “It’s really not so scary!” is the motto here. While yes, it is definitely decorated for Halloween, Magic Kingdom keeps the party fun and exciting for all ages. You won’t see anything here that is inappropriate for kids.
If none of those made you want to visit Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party, you either hate Halloween or Disney. It’s one of the most fun nights I’ve ever had at Disney World, truly worth it! And I haven’t even done some of the major events (Like Club Villain, or the Hocus Pocus Villain Spelltacular) so there are plenty of others things to explore.
Have you been to Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party? What was your favorite part of the evening?